Sunday, November 25, 2012

Tips For A Quick Recovery During Cold Season

In early October Charlie my 2 year old started with a croupy cough on Thursday.  By Friday morning it sounded a bit worse.  Having had a child who has a history of asthma I had a moment of panic.  I talked myself out of the panic and ran straight to Whole Foods.  I’ve been giving my family high quality vitamins and supplements but both are in school and complete immunity to colds is most likely unrealistic.

I went back to nature.  I bought a ton of organic red apples, ginger, lemons, garlic, honey and Pink Himalayan Sea Salt.  For 3 days I had Charlie use a Pink Himalayan Sea Salt inhaler (helps flush away impurities from respiratory system) and I made him fresh pressed apple-ginger juice and garlic tea.  Yes, you read it garlic tea!



Let’s start off with apple-ginger juice.  Apples are rich in fiber and flavonoids (reduce chronic coughing and respiratory illnesses.)  Ginger is a natural expectorant (helps get break down and get rid of the mucus).  It is also an anti-inflammatory which helps if your throat and glands when swollen.  Lemons are high in bioflavonoids and vitamin C.  By combining all three ingredients together not only do you make a delicious juice but a cocktail to help get rid of any respiratory sickness.



Using your juicer and juice the following:

(4) Organic Gala or any red apples
(1) Organic yellow lemon
1/4 inch organic ginger root

*Yields approximately 1.5-2 cups (depending on size of apples.)

Garlic tea has been used in my family since I can remember.  Now that I have been studying and applying more holistic remedies to my family’s life I understand why it is so effective.  Garlic contains allicin.  Allicin is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral which therefore naturally treats respiratory infections.

Garlic Tea

1 organic head of garlic peeled and minced
1 Qt. water (alkaline if possible)
2 TBS Organic Honey

In a small sauce pot bring all ingredients to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes.  Strain garlic.  Serve and drink.

Though I wish Charlie would not have dealt with getting sick at all.  I still consider this a victory.  From the time he started inhaler and drinking juice / tea to the time he was well again, it was a total of 2 days.  By day 2 he was running around and back to taking over the world.

Remember common colds and flus will happen. The key is to not getting sick often and recovering quickly.  If your body is strong and healthy, getting sick will be very uncommon and if it does recovering should only take a couple of days.  Next time you feel a scratchy throat I encourage you to try these out.


No comments:

Post a Comment