Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Time Protection

A while back I was chatting with some local online moms on what we all needed to prepare for the spring and summer. Of course with the kids being out of school and the beautiful spring and summer days the topic of sunblock and how to steer clear of mosquito bites was a huge topic of conversation.  Last year though I did protect my kiddies from the sun and mosquitos I was not on a huge “natural” bandwagon.  To me it was all about the SPF 90-100.  Yes, I know it is silly and after 30-45 it’s not much protection but it made me feel better that I was protecting my kids as much as I could.  Right?  Wrong!

On that same evening many of the moms told me about www.EWG.ORG.  you probably already heard of it but if you haven’t I urge you to take a moment and go on their site.  They have a plethora of information and most likely the largest data base that will give you all the information you need.  

Environmental Working Group


Between EWG and the moms I came across Purple Prairie Botanicals (an organic, cruelty-free & made in the USA skin care.)  I checked their website www.purpleprairie.com and fell immediately in love!  It is such an inviting and non-intimidating website.  You can easily find whatever item you are looking for.  The range of items they carry start from as basic as hand sanitizers to luxurious essential oils.  Plus the best part is when you click on an item of interest it gives you a full description along with ingredients AND EWG’s score!!!  You no longer have to cross reference between the website and EWG.  It doesn’t get easier than that!!! And of course though it is a given in my home Purple Prairie does not contain petroleum, parabens, synthetic dyes, artificial preservatives, animal ingredients, detergents, sulfates or GMOs.







        $7.99 EWG Score 0                                                                                  $19.99 EWG Score 1


My family and I have been using the Sun Stuff for a couple of months already I can honestly say I am hooked and need to look no further.  It is scent free, not greasy nor sticky and though it is white during application, the cast does disappear.  It holds up well with humidity and water.  Which means I no longer have to purchase a separate sun screen if the kids are running through the sprinklers.  The true test was when we were in sunny California.  During our vacation we went to Disneyland,  did some hiking and LOTS of walking in San Francisco.  All I can say is that Purple Prairie Botanicals passed with flying colors in my book.

As for the Bug Spray I had not had the chance to put it to work until the past 2 weeks.  California is lucky enough to have warm dry weather and typically pesky mosquitos love a warm moist environment.  The past week it has not only been hot in New York but the humidity has been quite high.  Usually by this time mosquitos have had a field day all over me.  Not this year!  I am proud to say I have 1 mosquito bite on my knee.  Plus the kids are also bite free!

What I really love about the Bug Spray is that it is “Deet Free” and smells of Eucalyptus, lemongrass, tea tree, lavender and peppermint (all natural bug repellents.)  And though my primary concern is for mosquitos it also is a repellent against biting flies and gnats.  Plus it doubles up as an anti itch against bites, poison ivy, chicken pox and all itches.

I can safely say for the summer of 2012 my family and I are not only protected against the sun but as well as bugs.  Having fun outdoor will no longer be limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment