Friday, July 27, 2012

At Your Age We Need To Discuss...



I’m very diligent when it comes to my check ups.  Truth be told I get anxious and don’t love the days leading up to my appointments but as a mom of 2 I wouldn’t do otherwise.

A couple of months ago I had my gyn appointment.  As much as I REALLY dread this appointment for more than one reason I LOVE my doctors.  The practice is small and consists of a Father-Daughter board certified OB/GYN’s and the nurse is the mom!  How cute is that?  They have both delivered my kids and I trust them 100%.

In this particular appointment we were discussing typical “girl issues”.  When she was going over my chart I guess my doctor noticed my date of birth and said, “At your age we need to discuss osteoporosis prevention.”  I was like whoa!  When did I turn 80?  But I guess at the ripe age of 28 that makes sense for prevention.

It’s funny because my mom is such a health nut and when I came home to tell her what I thought was a funny story she backlashed and said, “How many times have I told you to take your vitamins!”  I guess we go back to the saying, “Mom’s always right!”

As healthy as I TRY to be there is something about taking vitamins, supplements and even medication that has always been challenging for me.  (I’m one of those that never finishes anti-biotics.)  Well I decided then that June 1st would be the start of a new Jackie.  Since then I am happy to report there have only been about a handful of times that I’ve skipped my supplements.  I’m currently taking 20 billion CFU’s of probiotics (working on probiotic post.  All I can say is LIFE changing!), 1,000 I.U of vitamin D3 and 1,000 I.u of Calcium.  I know there are a lot more supplements that I should be taking but I just wanted to get into the swing of popping these capsules of goodness.

Of course I would highly recommend speaking with your doctor or nutritionist but keep in mind there are a few M.D.’s that are not pro vitamins or supplements so as usual I would say to do your own research and figure out what best suits your lifestyle.  I am fortunate that even though one doctor is an M.D. and one is a D.O. both have open minds.

Hopefully this post motivates you to take your supplements as well as listen to your mother.  :)

Peace & Health
J-


*Please do your research when taking supplements.  If you decide to take vitamin D there are a few options.  Check the back to see if they are vegan.  Typically Vitamin D3 is not vegan but you can find vegan alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment