Friday, August 24, 2012

Back To School Picks




Are any of you out there all set or gearing up for back to school?  It’s such a commotion every year.  I try my best to have everything all set before August when all the madness begins.  Luckily, Amanda’s school gives out the supply list with the year-end report card.  But supplies, ha!  That’s just half of it right?  I mean for those that go to public school you all have the headaches of back to school clothes shopping and the anticipation of the first outfit your kids will wear.  But it doesn’t just stop there, there is also backpack and lunch bags, lunch gear, school activity supplies and the list goes on and on!!!

I decided to make my favorite must haves and share them with you all.  These are products that we use and own or have done tons of research on and are as we speak ordered and on their way.

1.  Back packs & Lunch bags:  I have 2 for this list.  Some items are difficult for me to choose.  Since my daughter goes to private school and everything is the same I kind of give her card blanch on items such as backpack, shoes, etc.  In my opinion they need individuality.  Plus she’s at an age where she is past the hype over character backpack (sigh).

My pick is by Dabbawalla.  Dabbawalla are PVC, BPA, Lead, Phthalate free backpacks & Lunch Bags.  The designs are simple yet very cute and aimed more for the preschool and early elementary years.  What made me fall in love even more was that their bags are created by sewers who earn fair wages in a safe working environment.  Dabbawalla will also donate their products to schools and organizations that are in need.

Amanda’s pick is by Pottery Barn Kids.  Pottery Barn Kids backpack & Lunch bags are PVC, BPA, Lead, and Phthalate free backpack.  The patterns are endless and start off with a size perfect for your preschooler up until college.  They even carry matching duffle bags, luggage, etc if you’re into the matchy-match look (which I LOVE!)  Also, if you are lucky there is a Pottery Barn Outlet close to you.  I just happened to go and check out what they had and I scored!  Most of the patterns were from last year BUT they did have some from 2012.  Best part 2012 was reduced and 2012 was reduced and an additional discount!    Amanda chose polka dots and Charlie Batman (typical boy!)

2. Lunch & snack time:  In the category I also have 2 picks.  I fell in love with Life Factory bottles a while back.  Not only do they make glass water bottles but they also make baby glass bottles and toddler transition cups.  The bottle is BPA, phthalates, PVC, polycarbonate, latex and lead free. Bottles are hugged with a silicone sleeve that come in an array of colors and there are also spouts you can purchase if you like to switch it up between a open bottle top and a Sports top (great for working out!)  Check out www.LifeFactory.com to ordering and other details.

Many schools, my kids included prohibit glass even though these are practically indestructible.  In that case I love Klean Kanteen.

Kleen Kanteen is BPA free and 18/8 stainless steel (safest).  They too come in an array of colors and have optional sports top or open bottle mouth.  They come in various sizes and can be found at www.KleankKanteen.com Whole Foods and even Pottery Barn!  Pottery barn has several really cool patterns and even licensed characters such as the really IT Batman and Superman.

3. Food Storage:  Aside from plastic zip bags being environmentally irresponsible of us think of all the wasteful money you spend throughout your child’s life.  My kids started school at 2 years old and I’m hoping they take a home lunch up until high school (18 years old).  That will be 16 years of zip bags, aluminum foil and plastic wrap.  That can be avoided.  Yes of course I do have those items in my pantry but I use a lot less than the average person.
Lunch Bots is also BPA free and 18/8 stainless steel food system that has from circular to square and even rectangular food storage perfect for on the go kids and parents.  Lunch Bots have different sizes for all different food portions.  My favorite part is that they have a bento box style that makes lunch limitless.  You can have a piece of sandwich with some crackers and a side of fruit all in one container.  Plus they are fun to look at in the variety of colors.  Lunch Bots can be found at www.LunchBots.com and Whole Foods.

I love when I find a product that has a story.  Especially when it is determined entrepreneurs that are moms who won’t give up on using sustainable items for their children.  Three Little Birds Design Company is a shop I found via Etsy (here is their link) http://www.etsy.com/shop/3LBDC?ref=pr_shop_more


All of Three Little Birds products are produced using GOTS Certified Organic Cotton, grown and manufactured in the United States.  All products are U.S. produced and hand dyed with low impact dyes. Products included totes, linens, lunch and snack bags.  Sometimes you don’t need an entire container and you just want to throw in some carrots sticks or a single sandwich.  These little bags are perfect for them.  Plus they are reusable and washable! 

If you order three little Birds will give you a 10% discount for back to school.  I took advantage of the offer and ordered for each of the kids 2 napkins, a sandwich bag and snack bag.  One is yellow for Charlie to match his Batman theme and one is mint green for Amanda’s polka dot theme.

4.  Utensils:  not al lunches are finger foods.  And after learning my lesson last year and starting off with a 12 person flatware set and ending with 6 by the end of the school year I’m done with sending my kids (and Hubby!) with the “good stuff”.  Of course I have the option of disposable plastic utensils.  But have you ever cut your food or bitten into your fork and all of a sudden you have a piece of sharp plastic in your mouth?  Well I have.  Not fun!  At best your kids will just spit it out but of course I’m crazy and worry about the worst-case scenario.  Because that is what would happen with my kids.

Well let me paint you a picture of what could happen. Your kid can choke and swallow on a sharp piece of plastic OR can cut himself / herself or a classmate for that matter.  Have I scared you enough?

Now with all the stainless steel I’m promoting I’m not too keen on using stainless steel utensils because it scratches the interior of your container.  Instead a good alternative is bamboo utensils.  I absolutely ADORE RePeat.  RePeat come as a set that includes a fork, spoon, knife and even CHOPSTICKS!  How cool is that?  The set comes in a colored carrier of your choice.  RePeat is heat and stain resistant, won’t absorb flavors, lightweight, long lasting and vegan.  Order your set of RePeat at www.Amazon.com Just make sure that after typing RePeat you include utensils in your search.

I hope I saved you all some hectic last minute shopping as well as money in the long run.  And just remember not only the kids can have a fun lunch.  All of these items come in a varitety of sizes and us adults should have fun traveling with our lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment