Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Broccoli with Garlic & Olive Oil Pasta

I incorporate cruciferous vegetables every day.  Aside from adding them to my green juice I try my best to throw them in as often as possible.  Whether it be in an omelette for breakfast or salad for lunch.  I love cruciferous for many reasons. They are very high in phytochemicals (carotenoids, chlorophyll, fiber, flavonoids, etc ), vitamins and minerals.  They are also known to help prevent cancers.  In 1996 The Journal of the American Dietetic Association found over 70% of studies indicated a direct link between cruciferous vegetables and cancer prevention.  Plus the possibilities are endless.  My personal favorite is broccoli. Whether that is the standard floret, rabe or broccolini.  But in case you didn’t know the follow veggies are categorized as cruciferous...  broccoli, spinach, brussels sprouts (another fave!), cauliflower, collard greens, mustard greens, turnips, horseradish, cabbage, kale, radishes, watercress, daikon, arugula, bok choy, chard, rutabaga, wasabi and many more!

Last week as many of you saw I made a broccoli with garlic and olive oil pasta.  It’s been a bit hectic with Amanda going to first grade, Charlie starting preschool and of course me too!  But as I promised you all last week here is my version of this vitamin packed meal.



1 lb. of Whole Wheat Organic Pasta
1 quart of Vegetable Stock
4 cups of Organic broccoli (can substitute for rabe too!)
4 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
1/2 cup of Organic Olive Oil
Salt, Black Pepper & Crushed Red Pepper to Taste

Here is my little trick when cooking pasta.  When available I like to cook the pasta in vegetable stock.  It gives it that little extra bit of flavor that it sometimes needs. Follow Directions on packaging as per minutes to cook.

In a small pan add oil and crushed garlic.  Set it on low to medium heat simmer and infuse the flavor of the garlic into the oil for about 5-8 minutes (depending on stove).  Just keep an eye that you do not burn your garlic.  Otherwise the taste will penetrate to the oil.  I like to leave the garlic but some people don’t like to and rather just have the benefits of the taste.  If you are a person who doesn’t want to bite into it skim the garlic out with a metal mesh skimmer.  Add Broccoli.  When Adding the Broccoli I give a VERY light sautee.  I like to keep my vegetables as raw and crisp as possible.  Give them a quick toss for about 5 minutes.  Just enough time to get the broccoli coated with the infused olive oil.

For those non-vegans you may go ahead and add some grated parmesan.  For the omnivores who would like a little extra protein some turkey sausage slices work well too!  And don’t forget to add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes for an extra punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment