Sunday, March 25, 2012

Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Spinach


I was very inspired this week in the kitchen. Try to cook for my family has lately been a challenge since my dear husband is very much an Italian carnivore. I thought of different ways to slowly convert him to a more plant based diet. He always raves about his Nonna’s stuffed mushrooms I felt up to the challenge. I used her as an inspiration. I do have to admit though. I had left over Italian sausages from Sunday’s dinner (let me clarify... hubby’s dinner LOL) I had added some chopped sausage in one of his mushrooms. Well he loved it so much that he went for seconds but there were only the non-sausage left which he loved just as much! As for my kids, it was not a challenge at all. They both devoured them along with the salad.

Oh! Before I forget to mention. My husband has a pretty healthy appetite and was surprised at how filling the meal was and that he didn’t miss having a meat. WOOHOO!!!

Stuffed Portobello Mushroom over Mesculin Salad

4 Portobello Mushrooms (de-Gilled)
1 Bag of Frozen Chopped Spinach (thawed and drained)
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Small Chopped Onion
2 Cloves of Garlic
½ Rapunzel Sea Salt & Herb Vegetable Bouillon
1 Tsp of Italian Seasoning
4 Slices of Buffalo Mozzarella
1/4 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/8 Cup of Balsamic Vinegar
½ Cup of Bread Crumbs

Salad

1 Bag of Mixed Mesculin Greens
1 Medium Tomato Chopped

Dressing

½ Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ Cup of Balsamic Vinegar
Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together olive oil and vinegar. Lightly brush over tops and bottom of mushroom and place on a baking sheet. Roast for about 10 minutes. While mushrooms are cooling in a pan add about a tsp of extra virgin olive oil and caramelize onions and garlic. Be careful that garlic doesn’t burn. Add diced bell pepper, spinach, bouillon and Italian seasoning. Keep in mind not to overcook as it will be going into the oven and the more food gets cooked the least nutritious it is.
Fill spinach mix onto the portabella mushrooms. Take a tbs of breadcrumbs and lay a slice of the Buffalo mozzarella (if you are vegan eliminate). Bake for about 10 minutes or until the mozzarella has melted.
Whisk olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper for dressing and pour over greens and tomato. Place a stuffed mushroom over salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment